New pond

Voorstellingen van zelfbouwvijvers
Plaats reactie
BartOS

New pond

Bericht door BartOS »

Dear Koi friends,

My name is Bart and I'm posting for the first time. By the way, I come from Croatia and I am preparing to build my first pond. This forum seems to be one of the better in Europe and there are a lot of experts on the subject.
This is a draft of my future pond :
Afbeelding

from the equipment I got a drum filter AEM 35 PRO, biological filter 200cm x 100 cm x 80 cm with four chambers that I will fill with helix ( static, moving, matt and UV chamber -110 w ), 2 x bottom drains 110 and one float skimmer 110 , 2 x pumps aqua forte DM vario 20000.

Before I start installing the equipment, I am interested in a few things:
1. at what height should I install a floating skimmer if my water level in the pond from the bottom to the top is 190 cm?

Afbeelding
2. I see that some people use two methods when connecting a drum filter to inlet pipes. I am sending a picture of what exactly I mean, I guess picture two has to do with cleaning the bottom drain. How do people do this who do not have an additional T-connection with a valve installed? Is the combination in Figure two necessary?
Afbeelding
3. this image shows how to connect a drum filter and a biological filter. Is this the correct way and do I have to put valves between the drum filter and the biological one if I already have valves on the biological filter under each chamber for draining ? Did I set the heights well?
Afbeelding
4. at what height to make the entrance of clean water from the filter to the pond ?
Afbeelding
5. how do i perform automatic water refill? I was thinking of using the Htronic WPS 3000 plus ( https://www.h-tronic.de/en/shop/water-l ... 3000-plus/ ). I don't know where it's best to place the probes? As far as I understand, I connect the solenoid valve to the socket on the device, and on the other side to the source of tap water, am I right about this?
I am also interested in where it is best to perform the new water inlet - in the filter or directly in the pond ?

6. I have seen that some people use 45 knees when constructing the bottom drain, while others do not use them ... Which way is correct?
Afbeelding

sorry for a lot of questions and because i write in english, not your language.
Greetings

Hugo75

Re: New pond

Bericht door Hugo75 »

Hi Bart,

Few questions, you are planning on 110 watt UV, with the size pond at about 25 m3 that is a lot of energy. What type of lamp were you planning? You may want to look at Amalgam UV where 40 or 55 watt should suffice (depends on the electricity price really of course)

For he Skimmer I don’t know if this differs per skimmer, my pipe is about 50 cm 110 pipe coming up (I have my UV in there) ending about 10-15 cm below waterlevel, the 160 around it has a little play too. Check the manual/documentation for the skimmer you want though.

Personally I do not have the waste outlets before my drum filter, reason is I dump in a separate chamber. If you can dump straight into a sewer I would add an exit valve as you can flush way way better. You will need good valves (or use a double safety)

For 3, you could add valves for maintenance, but I wouldn’t. Your heights are strange though, where will you place the pumps? I would expect after the filter line so the drum and bio should be at the same height I expect (I have a combi filter so no expert on this.

For 4, I have mine at 10 cm below water level, not sure if it matters really.

For 5, I bought the wps 3000, but haven’t installed it yet as I’m thinking about continual drip replacement, in which case I will use it as an emergency shut-off instead of level meter. You can’t measure the level in the filter as the drum varies depending on how dirty it is. Water replacement I do in the pond, but not sure if it matters if you have really good water. If you have trace chlorine etc in the water I would refill in the pond not to risk the bacteria.

For 6, my school is less bends is better, not sure why you would build a dirt trap after the drain. But I have never seen that either so I maybe missing something.

BartOS

Bericht door BartOS »

Hugo, thanks a lot for the help and advice! ;OK;

Related to the water levels in the filter chamber - the ideal height of the water column in the drum filter is 37.5 cm from the bottom of the drum filter, which means that i have 25 cm of drum filter above the water column, so that means that's how I place the bio filter ?
I was thinking of somehow using that 25cm of precious space in the bio filter and so i placed it a little lower compared to the drum filter. I don’t know if that would work? The return pumps are located in the far left corner at the bottom of the bio filter.
Afbeelding

Related to overflow and automatic replace evaporated water in pond, means that I pierce the wall of the pond, for example 50 mm connect the pipe that will be below the surface and on the inside of the filter connect that pipe with a PVC box in which would be located probes to indicate the water level in the pond ?

Hugo75

Bericht door Hugo75 »

Let me check the drum filter specs later today, 37,5 seems very low (mine is at 78 cm, but different brand), the lower the water the lower the amount of screen used for filtering. You could also ping AEM directly, drum filter manufacturers tend to have very good service, they don’t make thousands.

Hugo75

Bericht door Hugo75 »

Had a look at your filter manual and it needs 1cm below the waste exit when water is not moving, which sounds like you are absolutely right with your positioning in the first drawing if I lookup the size of the drum, you don't want 25 cm of unused space in the bio filter (you want a little in a moving bed filter as the air will move the water quite a bit, however the water level in the bio filter and drum when the system is running will be lower than the level when the pump is turned off, mine is about 5-8 cm lower depending on screen polution level)

BartOS

Bericht door BartOS »

Filter manual says : Drum Diameter mm:50 cm, Width cm: 42 cm.
I am sending a picture of a bio filter with drainage holes for each chamber and holes for two return pumps.

Afbeelding

May I place the bio filter lower by those 25 cm or must it remain in a position aligned with the drum filter ?
I have to have it defined by the beginning of next week, when the concrete works start... :dash:

Thanks!!

Hugo75

Bericht door Hugo75 »

You can put it as per your first drawing (my drum is a bit bigger hence my confusion earlier), I would leave the top of the biofilter at least a bit above pond level to avoid any flooding/spilling when the air is on in your moving bed filter.

I mean this one: Afbeelding

Where are you planning the pumps and valves for the pumps? for energy efficiency make sure the return pipes are big enough, even though the pump connector is like 40-50mm a larger pipe will reduce your electricity bill as will fewer corners and as few sharp (90 degree) corners as possible, if you need them use the wider ones.

BartOS

Bericht door BartOS »

Thanks, i am happier now because i can use those extra 25cm height in bio filter !!
Thanks a lot for the guidelines regarding return pumps, I know it’s good to avoid as many 90 degree angles as possible, but I didn’t know it was good to use a larger pipe diameter than that provided for that pump model.

I have one more dilemma left, and that is the question of automatically replenishing the evaporated water. How about this plan, would it work?

Afbeelding

Hugo75

Bericht door Hugo75 »

It works, no need for a 90 degree angle in the pond though and a smaller pipe would already be ok. There is one drawback in that you end up with non moving water in that pipe which is a bacterial risk (you could also refill via that pipe, but then Imwould use a 40mm pipe. I am planning to have one sensor at least in the pond. The sensor should have a delay for waves/wind movement. To avoid damaging the fish I will put each sensor inside a 40mm black pp tube as the electronic sensor does have two ‘sharp’ pins.

BartOS

Bericht door BartOS »

Thank you very much Hugo !!! :good:

BartOS

Bericht door BartOS »

Which connecting elbow is better to use for the bottom drain. Picture 1. or 2. ?

Figure 1.

Afbeelding

Figur 2.

Afbeelding

I have a problem with the purchase (I have to wait for delivery for a week or two ) of the knees under Figure 1, while I have the knees under Figure 2 ..

Marco VH

Bericht door Marco VH »

figure 1 is way better to use

greetz Marco

Stafke

Bericht door Stafke »

2 elbows of 45° behind each other are also better than the one on figure 2

Plaats reactie

Terug naar “De vijver ... door koivrienden”